"Creativity is to discover a question that has never been asked. if one brings up an idiosyncratic question, the answer he gives will necessarily be unique as well."
An annual investment of USD 100+ billion is required for Africa to meet its infrastructure needs – USD 40.92 billion (44 per cent) for energy, USD 21.39 billion (23 per cent) for water and sanitation, USD18.6 billion (20 per cent) for transport, USD 9.3 billion (10 per cent) for ICTs and USD 2.79 billion (3 per cent) for irrigation.
Black Lion Holdings partners with project owners and investors to pair capital with commercially viable infrastructure projects in over 30 countries on the African continent.
We help clients plan, develop, and deliver multibillion-dollar megaprojects across all asset classes through all stages of the project life cycle, from planning through commissioning. We bring a unique combination of project-development and financing expertise, relationships with key stakeholders, and proprietary tools and data that enable us to serve as trusted partners to governments and investors. Our project-development work is focused on helping to bridge the current gap between infrastructure investment and needs by convening the right parties and working collaboratively to establish viable, bankable infrastructure projects that investors can be confident in.
We use several flexible models to help our clients match projects to financing and develop projects and pipelines, including establishing partnership models with our clients. These unique approaches enables us to provide advisory services in the form of equity to relieve development-stage, cash-flow pressure, and truly align our economic incentives.
We partner throughout the entire process of infrastructure-project development, including:
- Sourcing projects. We conduct analyses of subsectors and geographies of interest and develop bespoke and nonpublic brownfield and greenfield-development opportunities to help our clients source opportunities, identify, and develop projects.
- Developing the project plan. We define a clear value proposition for the project and craft the commercial and development plan for various stakeholders.
- Mapping investors. We identify potential investors, facilitate introductions, and develop the information or materials to support investor engagement.
- Providing strategic end-to-end support. We provide a wide range of support throughout the project-development phase, including due diligence, development and management of a business plan, establishment of a project-management-office function to support development and management of third-party contractors, and conduct risk assessments.
- Optimizing and accelerating projects. Through our functional expertise across all aspects of capital projects and operations, we offer both targeted initiatives and broad, long-term support to optimize project spend and operations, prioritize projects and investments across a project portfolio and accelerate delivery by working alongside our clients, building the capabilities of client teams and also serving as project managers.